Skip to main content

Talk soon

 A year ago I had a plan. Around this time, I would be packing up my apartment, getting travel paperwork for Lucy organized, and finishing up a school year. In a few weeks from now, I was going to be moving back to the United States, buying a house with my sisters, and once again teaching in a public school.

 Last summer, when I was in Virginia visiting my mother, I realized that Virginia was no longer my home. Guatemala was. I still wanted to go back, but it was only a weak longing.

In September I was applying to schools in Virginia. In October I told my school here I would leave. In November, I told them I would stay. By the end of the month, things felt wrong.

Everything in my being was telling me to stay in Guatemala. The economy was telling me never to go back to the United States. The principal of my division led me to think that maybe I should leave this school. I didn't have the words for it, but I was unhappy. I was so happy living here. In fact, nothing could have made me happier than living in Guatemala. The idea of going back to work was like a rock in my stomach.

In January a child shot a teacher. I worked in that city for five years. When I was the teacher's age, I had a student who was violent like that. The teacher and I share a name. I was broken about it. Again, I knew I was unhappy at my school, but this incident made it even more clear that I could not teach in a public school again.

Here's where I was. I needed to get out of the school, but I was heartbroken at the prospect of leaving my new home. I couldn't teach in the United States, and I was nervous to try moving again so soon. I had found my place and lost it all at the same time.

In early February I was feeling so unsettled I began to look at schools again. I found one in Guatemala. Not only in Guatemala but in my favorite place in Guatemala. I applied. Within two weeks I was hired. I finally felt like things were falling into place. They were prepared to offer me a grade I was new to, but in the end I was offered my dream job: Kindergarten, art, and drama.

Work had reached a critical moment, and whereas before I felt I could possibly hold on one more year, I now knew that if I stayed it would be a black mark on my career. It felt good to know I was leaving, and agonizing to know I had several months left to go.

Then, just a month later, my apartment flooded. A pipe exploded in the wall. Many of my things were damaged or destroyed. I was displaced for five weeks. I was barely holding on. In fact, I wasn't even sure I would make it. I was in a class, and I had to drop it because I felt like I was in a crisis.

I couldn't care about much. I still don't, really. About two weeks ago I was able to move back home, just in time to pack everything up. People ask me how I feel about it, and I only say that I'm indifferent, because I am.

The past several months, I have felt like I was in a pit and shrouded in darkness. In recent weeks it has felt like I am still in the hole, but I can see out the top. Perhaps soon I will be able to get out of it completely.

I suppose I'm in a brief period of optimism, but I have plan to blog again. I have a planner, actually. Who knows what the posts will be. A knitting pattern? A story of an adventure? A recipe? Whatever it is, I hope to share something regularly.

And so I say goodbye, in temporary sense. Talk soon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's (been) on the needles? June 2022

 My oh my, has it really been a whole month? I guess so! In the past month I finished the school year, tracked down paperwork to bring my dog to the US, flew back to Virginia, got a hair cut, and visited many of my old haunts. I love it here, at least I do for the time being. Once the weather heats up I will NOT like it so much. I fly back to Guatemala the end of next month. So, what are my plans for the summer? Well, I'm going on a roadtrip with my sisters, stopping in Ohio to visit my brother and his children, teaching a knitting class July 9, and selling at a sci-fi mini-con July 23-24. That brings me to what's on the needles: SO. MANY. THINGS. I found out I was going to be a vendor with only two months to plan. I gave away my entire inventory before I left, so I had to start from scratch. I have a goal of 5 scarves ✓ 10 cowls (halfway) 20 hats (5 to go) Bookmarks once I meet those quotas   As a part of this, I needed to make example projects for my knitting class. I am happ

The Sweaters of Murder, She Wrote Episode: 11.20

 I've decided to do a series of posts on the sweaters of Murder, She Wrote. I've watched every episode at least once over the years, and there are some fantastic sweaters in this show! Some you can find a similar pattern for, so if I can I will share it. Please note I am not very good at capturing all the sweaters just yet, so the picture quality is not going to be great. I had the idea for this while watching season 11, episode 20 "Another killing in Cork". So we will start there. Each post will give a spoiler-free synopsis of the episode, followed by a short review, and then sweaters! In this episode, we see Jessica traveling to Cork to visit some old friends. She stays in their big castle-like Bed and Breakfast with a host of "queer" characters (I use the words that are used in the show itself). Turns out there's a land dispute the landlord is involved in. People end up dead, of course, since this is a murder show, after all. In true Jessica Fletcher

THE blanket

 There was this blanket I heard about ages and ages back, near to when I started in 2018. I don't remember exactly when I found it, but it came up repeatedly. As a novice knitter, I was intimidated by a large blanket, so I pushed it out of my mind. By the time I was ready, I had started selling things. I had to get ready for a convention, so no time. On and on the excuses came: art show, Christmas gifts, quarantine. Sure, quarantine in 2020 was probably the best time to make a blanket, but this one was never really high on my list of things to do. I had a list of sweaters I wanted to make, a couple half started projects to finish, and techniques I wanted to learn. Quarantine eased, and I was hired in Guatemala. Cue the list of projects that will use up yarn AND I could bring with me. This project uses up yarn, but I never would have been able to get it here. And since moving here, I fell in love with blankets, even though it never really gets that cold in Guatemala. But hey, it'